Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Homemade Mayonnaise

I just recently found out that the Whole Foods Mayo I was using also has corn in it (in the natural flavors) so I wasn't sure what to do since I have looked at most other brands and they all have corn. Now, of course I can live without mayo. But I do like a little on my sandwich and egg salad is one of my weaknesses :) So, I decided to try and make my own. I was a little nervous and not really sure what to expect, but it was delicious and very easy. You probably have all of the ingredients at home already. It only took me about 10 minutes to make. I did use an electric beater to make it a little easier though.

I used a regular egg but I think next time I will use a pasteurized one just to be safe. Even if you aren't allergic to corn, give this recipe a try, it really is delicious!

The recipe I used is as follows (click here for a direct link):

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 large egg yolk*
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
  • 3/4 cup canola oil, divided

PREPARATION

Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds.

Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. do ahead Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.

* Raw egg is not recommended for infants, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems. To avoid the risk of salmonella infection, you can use pasteurized egg yolk instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment