Monday, January 4, 2010

Happy New Year!

I haven't been posting much lately, but one of my goals for the new year is to really work on this blog. My goal is to help Moms, families and anyone with food allergies navigate through the grocery store, cooking and even just going out to eat! The older my daughter gets, the more I realize how much her food allergies affect us.

She had an ear infection about a month ago and was prescribed Amoxicillan. I knew that there was a chance of corn, but it was free at Publix so I filled the prescription and gave it a shot. Well, she went nuts! I ended up calling the company to confirm corn (it was in the maltodextrin and a couple of other ingredients) and went back to the doctor to find out what to do. They couldn't find any antibiotics that didn't have corn in them. So, I called up my compounding pharmacy. Guess how much an antibiotic was going to be? $215! Yikes! I ended up putting some ear oil drops that I found at Whole Foods for about $6 in her ears for a week or so and it went away. So, the allergy issues don't just end with food. Corn especially is in everything, but numerous other allergens are present in medicines, bath and body products, and detergents. I can't even find her a bubble bath that doesn't have corn in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment